Digg Your Way to Better Critical Thinking with Diigo!

Recently, I wrote a post about social bookmarking in the classroom, and focused on a tool called Diigo.¬† This post is a followup. ūüôā

After seeing the education community embrace Diigo with so much excitement, the good folks that run it decided to create an educator-specific incantation of the popular tool.¬† They listened to what teachers had to say- what special features they’d like to see in order to better use Diigo with their students- and recently introduced Diigo Educator Accounts.

What are Diigo Educator Accounts?

These are special, FREE premium accounts provided, specifically to K-12 & higher-ed educators. Once your Diigo Educator application is approved, your regular Diigo account will be upgraded to have additional features.  So, you need to create a basic Diigo account first, then upgrade to the free education account after wards.  The upgraded educational features include:

• You can create student accounts for an entire class with just a few clicks (and student email addresses are optional for account creation)
  • Students of the same class are automatically set up as a Diigo group so they can start using all the benefits that a Diigo group provides, such as group bookmarks and annotations, and group forums.
  • Privacy settings of student accounts are pre-set so that only teachers and classmates can communicate with them.
  • Ads presented to student account users are limited to education-related sponsors.

Here’s a link to the offical Diigo Educator Account FAQ Sheet.¬† You’ll find loads of valuable information there to help you set up your educator account, get your students registered, and get started digging with Diigo!

Here’s an example of what I plan on doing with my Diigo Educator account (I’ll let you know how it goes ūüôā )

• Every week, I have one student choose a current event article & pose a question about it.¬† It started out great, but after a while, everyone just started reading previous posts & trying to mimic them instead of thinking critically on their own.¬† I am going to shake things up a bit by using a¬† Diigo Education account for our current event conversations.
  • Every week, I will choose a current event article and begin marking it up in Diigo with a question (bubble annotation).¬† My students will have to choose segments of the article to annotate themselves.¬† They must make a statement AND ask a question in their annotation.
  • I’m just fleshing this out now, so any feedback you can provide is GREATLY appreciated!